عنوان مقاله [English]
Application of phase change materials (PCMs) is an effective solution for storage and transfer energy(latent heat)that has been of great interest in recent years. PCMs store thermal energy during the phase change and release it when necessary by reversing the phase change step. PCMs are able to hold latent heat energy without any change even after thousands of phase cycles. Solid-Liquid phase change materials are divided into three categories of organic materials (e.g. paraffin waxes, fatty acids, etc.), mineral materials (e.g. hydrated salts, metals and salts), and eutectics. Food packaging plays a key role in the preservation of food materials during the processes of storage, transportation and delivery to the consumer. One way to increase the shelf life of food products is to avoid the temperature fluctuations in food storage and transportation, using phase change materials in food packaging. Recently, the use of PCMs in food transportation and packaging systems (such as meat, ice cream, etc.) has been the focus of researchers. In this study, while introducing phase change materials and their types, evaluation of research methods, and their application in food packaging were investigated.
1. Robertson, G. L. (2005). "Food packaging: Principles and practice." CRC press.
2. Sharma, A., Tyagi, V. V., Chen, C., & Buddhi, D. (2009). "Review on thermal energy storage with phase change materials and applications." Renewable and Sustainable energy reviews, 13(2), 318.
3. Zhang, N., Yuan, Y., Cao, X., Du, Y., Zhang, Z., & Gui, Y. (2018). "Latent heat thermal energy storage systems with solid–liquid phase change materials: A review." Advanced Engineering Materials.
4. Fleischer, A. S. (2015). "Thermal energy storage using phase change materials: Fundamentals and applications." Springer.
5. Al Shannaq, R., & Farid, M. (2015). "Microencapsulation of phase change materials (pcms) for thermal energy storage systems." In Advances in thermal energy storage systems, (pp. 247): Elsevier.
6. Su, W., Darkwa, J., & Kokogiannakis, G. (2015). "Review of solid–liquid phase change materials and their encapsulation technologies." Renewable and Sustainable energy reviews, 48, 373.
7. Demirbas, M. F. (2006). "Thermal energy storage and phase change materials: An overview." Energy Sources, Part B: Economics, Planning, and Policy, 1(1), 85.
8. Mondal, S. (2008). "Phase change materials for smart textiles–an overview." Applied Thermal Engineering, 28(11-12), 1536.
9. Tay, N. H. S., Liu, M., Belusko, M., & Bruno, F. (2017). "Review on transportable phase change material in thermal energy storage systems." Renewable and Sustainable energy reviews, 75, 264.
10. Giro-Paloma, J., Martínez, M., Cabeza, L. F., & Fernández, A. I. (2016). "Types, methods, techniques, and applications for microencapsulated phase change materials (mpcm): A review." Renewable and Sustainable energy reviews, 53, 1059.
11. Pielichowska, K., & Pielichowski, K. (2014). "Phase change materials for thermal energy storage." Progress in materials science, 65, 67.
12. Oró, E., de Gracia, A., Castell, A., Farid, M. M., & Cabeza, L. F. (2012). "Review on phase change materials (pcms) for cold thermal energy storage applications." Applied Energy, 99, 513.
13. Jin, Z., Wang, Y., Liu, J., & Yang, Z. (2008). "Synthesis and properties of paraffin capsules as phase change materials." Polymer, 49(12), 2903.
14. Kim, S., & Drzal, L. T. (2009). "High latent heat storage and high thermal conductive phase change materials using exfoliated graphite nanoplatelets." Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 93(1), 136.
15. Liu, H., & Awbi, H. B. (2009). "Performance of phase change material boards under natural convection." Building and Environment, 44(9), 1788.
16. Zhang, G. H., Bon, S. A. F., & Zhao, C. Y. (2012). "Synthesis, characterization and thermal properties of novel nanoencapsulated phase change materials for thermal energy storage." Solar Energy, 86(5), 1149.
17. Elgafy, A., & Lafdi, K. (2005). "Effect of carbon nanofiber additives on thermal behavior of phase change materials." Carbon, 43(15), 3067.
18. Rahimi, M., Ranjbar, A., Ganji, D., Sedighi, K., & Hosseini, M. (2014). "Experimental investigation of phase change inside a finned-tube heat exchanger." Journal of Engineering, 2014.
19. Nagano, K., Takeda, S., Mochida, T., Shimakura, K., & Nakamura, T. (2006). "Study of a floor supply air conditioning system using granular phase change material to augment building mass thermal storage—heat response in small scale experiments." Energy and Buildings, 38(5), 436.
20. Zhang, D., Tian, S., & Xiao, D., (2006). "Pcm/nano-graphite composite and its application as thermal energy storage in green building in china." In International Conference" The case of energy autonomy: Storing Renewable Energies"(IRES I), Gelsenkirchen/Germany, (pp. 31).
21. Butala, V., & Stritih, U. (2009). "Experimental investigation of pcm cold storage." Energy and Buildings, 41(3), 354.
22. Sioshansi, R., & Denholm, P. (2010). "The value of concentrating solar power and thermal energy storage." IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 1(3), 173.
23. Wu, Y., Chen, C., Jia, Y., Wu, J., Huang, Y., & Wang, L. (2018). "Review on electrospun ultrafine phase change fibers (pcfs) for thermal energy storage." Applied Energy, 210, 167.
24. Lu, W., & Tassou, S. (2013). "Characterization and experimental investigation of phase change materials for chilled food refrigerated cabinet applications." Applied Energy, 112, 1376.
25. Oro, E., Miro, L., Farid, M. M., & Cabeza, L. F. (2012). "Thermal analysis of a low temperature storage unit using phase change materials without refrigeration system." International journal of refrigeration, 35(6), 1709.
26. Oró, E., De Gracia, A., & Cabeza, L. F. (2013). "Active phase change material package for thermal protection of ice cream containers." International journal of refrigeration, 36(1), 102.
27. Oró, E., Cabeza, L. F., & Farid, M. M. (2013). "Experimental and numerical analysis of a chilly bin incorporating phase change material." Applied Thermal Engineering, 58(1-2), 61.
28. Devahastin, S., & Pitaksuriyarat, S. (2006). "Use of latent heat storage to conserve energy during drying and its effect on drying kinetics of a food product." Applied Thermal Engineering, 26(14-15), 1705.
29. Bal, L., Sudhakar, P., Satya, S., & Naik, S., (2009). "Solar dryer with latent heat storage systems for drying agricultural food products." In Proceedings of the international conference on food security and environmental sustainability).
30. Johnston, J. H., Grindrod, J. E., Dodds, M., & Schimitschek, K. (2008). "Composite nano-structured calcium silicate phase change materials for thermal buffering in food packaging." Current Applied Physics, 8(3-4), 508.
31. Lu, Y., Zhang, W., Yuan, P., Xue, M., Qu, Z., & Tao, W. (2010). "Experimental study of heat transfer intensification by using a novel combined shelf in food refrigerated display cabinets (experimental study of a novel cabinets)." Applied Thermal Engineering, 30(2-3), 85.
32. Çakmak, G., & Yıldız, C. (2011). "The drying kinetics of seeded grape in solar dryer with pcm-based solar integrated collector." Food and bioproducts processing, 89(2), 103.
33. Esakkimuthu, S., Hassabou, A. H., Palaniappan, C., Spinnler, M., Blumenberg, J., & Velraj, R. (2013). "Experimental investigation on phase change material based thermal storage system for solar air heating applications." Solar Energy, 88, 144.
34. Pérez-Masiá, R., López-Rubio, A., & Lagarón, J. M. (2013). "Development of zein-based heat-management structures for smart food packaging." Food Hydrocolloids, 30(1), 182.
35. Perez‐Masia, R., Lopez‐Rubio, A., Fabra, M. J., & Lagaron, J. M. (2013). "Biodegradable polyester‐based heat management materials of interest in refrigeration and smart packaging coatings." Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 130(5), 3251.
36. Chalco-Sandoval, W., Fabra, M. J., López-Rubio, A., & Lagaron, J. M. (2015). "Optimization of solvents for the encapsulation of a phase change material in polymeric matrices by electro-hydrodynamic processing of interest in temperature buffering food applications." European polymer journal, 72, 23.
37. Omidyarjanki, N., Soltanizadeh, N., & Hamdami, N., (2016). "Feasibility of using phase change materials to maintain meat temperature during temperature fluctuations." In The first international congress and the 24th national congress of food science and technology of Iran. (In Persian)
38. Jannatkhah, J., Ghaebi, H., & Najafi, B. (2017). "Development and evaluation of a solar dryer augmented with phase change materials (pcm)." Agricultural mechanization and systems research, 18(68), 89. (In Persian)
39. Chalco-Sandoval, W., Fabra, M. J., López-Rubio, A., & Lagaron, J. M. (2017). "Use of phase change materials to develop electrospun coatings of interest in food packaging applications." Journal of Food Engineering, 192, 122.